So I'll be down here for 27 months. I have lots of wall space and would love to receive some postcards from you back home. If you send me a postcard:

1) I'll be very happy, 2) I'll show it to everyone that comes to my apartment, 3) I'll send you a postcard, 4) You can be 100% sure that I won't forget who you are during my time here.







Sunday, February 28, 2010

1st Week in Country

I got internet in a neighboring town!

So I’m writing this from my room right now. I don’t have internet, but I’ll write a little bit every now and then and whenever I get online then I’ll post what I have.

Today´s just my 3rd day in Honduras. I’m staying in a small town called Zarabanda that’s about 40 minutes from the capital. Actually, the training is in Zarabanda and some of the volunteers are staying there while others of us are scattered around in a couple of neighboring towns. So I’m actually in one of the neighboring towns (if I remember correctly, there’s 28 homes in this town) with a really nice host family. My host family is huge! I have a mom and dad and they have 6 kids, 3 boys and 3 girls. They’re all married and have children. In total there are 19 grandkids but only the families of the sons live around here (I think… It’s been a bit confusing meeting sooo many people at once along with trying to get to know the Peace Corps Staff and the 50 some volunteers). The daughters have moved to wherever their husbands live in other parts of the country. Anyways, the family is great, I talk to them from the second I get home till it’s time to sleep. Bedtime… My first night I went to sleep at 8:30 but during training I’ll probably goto bed around 9:30 I have my own room, the bathroom and shower are separate from the house and only cold water. But I guess you could say I got it pretty good here because many volunteers have to take bucket showers while I have a showerhead (but a few people do have warm water because of an electroducha: something that heats the water as it comes out of the showerhead). Also there are 2 dogs, Loby and Boby, and a bunch of mandarin and orange trees which is pretty sweet cuz I get to eat them.

Our training everyday starts pretty early. I wake up at 5:30, take a nice cold shower which really wakes me up, eat breakfast and chill out a bit before catching our yellow school bus to the training site to start by 7:30. So far the training has consisted of getting lots of information about Honduran culture, safety, medical stuff and rules that we have. We also have Spanish classes, but they’ll change because today we had our proficiency exams… I’m hoping to place in the Advanced Low level but will find out soon. For lunch, all of us volunteers get a lunchbox or thermos from our host family and we get an hour to sit around, eat, hang out (by the way, during the day it’s sunny and hot which is awesome after all the snow in Philly!).

Although it’s only been a few days, it’s great so far. The Peace Corps staff is extremely friendly. There’s quite a mix of volunteers in our group and everyone seems like buena gente. The other volunteers are of all ages, but I’d say mostly in the lower-mid 20’s. There’s even another girl from Drexel in this group (yeah drexel!). What other random thoughts can I think of……….. Some volunteers are saying they get woken up at random hours through the night from roosters and the buzzing of mosquitoes flying close to their ear. I’ve been eating lots of beans and tortillas. For the first 3 months we’re receiving a living allowance of $3/day (but transportation to/from training, food, and a house is all taken care of). It’s beautiful here, a bunch of small towns in the mountains, lots of green, a mix of paved and dirt roads, and not very many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment