So I'll be down here for 27 months. I have lots of wall space and would love to receive some postcards from you back home. If you send me a postcard:

1) I'll be very happy, 2) I'll show it to everyone that comes to my apartment, 3) I'll send you a postcard, 4) You can be 100% sure that I won't forget who you are during my time here.







Sunday, September 19, 2010

Food, Kimchi!

I love food. If a country has good food, then I’d be happy living there. Food in Honduras is good… but it’s nothing that I’m going to miss when I leave after finishing Peace Corps. To start with, here are some different things you’ll find are eaten a lot here:

Baleadas – flour tortilla with beans and mantequilla and cheese, but you can also get it with avocado, onions, beef or chicken or sausage, and egg. There’s a guy who sets up a tent some nights during the week in the central park in Juticalpa and makes the best baleadas ever. And he has maracuyá, aka passion fruit, juice a lot of the time to go with it.

Tajaditas – plantains cut very thin and fried. They´re just like chips, but in my opinion are so much better than potato chips. I don´t know why we don´t have these in the US. Usually you´d buy a bag of tajaditas in a store, but in a comedor, like a restaurant but one step lower, you can get tajadas con carne in which they put meat, cabbage and some sauce over the tajaditas. Delicious.

Tacos – the tacos are different here. Put some meat and veggies inside of a tortilla, wrap it up, and fry it. Then top it with some sauce, cheese, and cabbage and pour some hot sauce on it.

Enchiladas – like tacos but first fry a tortilla that´s not rolled up and put all that other stuff on top of it.

Plato Típico – the typical plate if you go to a comedor and ask for un almuerzo, lunch, comes with a piece of meat, beans, avocado, rice, egg, tajadas, and a mini-salad of tomato and either cabbage or lettuce. Actually, it won´t come with all of these on one plate, but you get a nice mix.´


There`s more food than those that I just listed, but I don´t want to bore you putting up a huge list of what they have here. My host mom during training made amazing soups; however, the soups that I´ve had so far in Juticalpa are so-so. Even though it´s really really hot here, they still tend to eat soups for lunch (the hottest time of the day) at which point I'm sweating like crazy by the time I finish it.

I've been cooking a lot recently. Every week I make a big batch of spicy veggie chili (which my friend put the recipe in one the Peace Corps newsletters for volunteers here and called it Beans a la Eyal, ha). Yesterday I made a big pot of soup that I thought was really good. I also tried making kimchi and will find out later today how it turns out. Kimchi is so so good. Last week I made falafel, hummus, and some indian-like egg dish

Cabbage soaking in salty water, glass jar with kimchi fermenting, bowl with sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment