So I'll be down here for 27 months. I have lots of wall space and would love to receive some postcards from you back home. If you send me a postcard:

1) I'll be very happy, 2) I'll show it to everyone that comes to my apartment, 3) I'll send you a postcard, 4) You can be 100% sure that I won't forget who you are during my time here.







Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My Little Friends

I live with lots and lots of little ants. I think most Peace Corps Volunteers here do and it’s pretty much impossible to get rid of them. They crawl up and down the walls day and night. It’s not that my apartment is dirty, I keep it clean and there’s never any food lying around on the counters. So why do they keep coming back all of the time?

If any food or grease or sugar from something when I was cooking is left out then the ants will be there. Or if there’s a dead mosquito, fly, or any other tiny insect, then I can watch the line of ants across my apartment to wherever it died. Another place they always go to is my bottle of olive oil. You know when you pour some olive oil out of the bottle how that one drop or so might drizzle down the side; well the ants attack that one drop. Even after wiping the bottle down with a damp rag, I still wake up and see ants trying to get inside it.

The ants aren’t bad. You could spend days (or maybe even the entire 2 years of Peace Corps service) watching these ants and trying to figure out where they’re coming from.


Having nothing to do with ants, in my last post I said that I was making kimchi. It turned out exactly as kimchi should be, spicy and delicious. I guess you could say life just got that much better. Although they don’t sell one of the ingredients, red hot chili powder, that’s required to make kimchi in all of Olancho so once I run out will have to find some way to get more.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Eyal, Great blog...

    We used to have ants in the kitchen during the summer, and I think since it's hot in Juticalpa all the time, the ants just won't go away. I don't know if you can find someone over there to treat your apt to get rid of your little friends. Let me know if you want me to get something from here.

    Your Kimchi and food blog is also awesome. Looks like you are having fun. Can you share some recipes?

    Keep blogging..I love reading them.

    With all my love.
    ima

    ReplyDelete