So I'll be down here for 27 months. I have lots of wall space and would love to receive some postcards from you back home. If you send me a postcard:

1) I'll be very happy, 2) I'll show it to everyone that comes to my apartment, 3) I'll send you a postcard, 4) You can be 100% sure that I won't forget who you are during my time here.







Friday, April 8, 2011

What Would It Be Like?

For anyone that’s been reading this blog, you should know that I live in a city called Juticalpa, which has about 60,000 people and all the amenities that a PCV could ask for. I have no complaints at all about it (except for the insane amount of dust), I mean I have a nice apartment, a couple places with wifi, lots of work options, many different places to eat out at, and big supermarkets for those rare non-Honduran items that I want sometimes. The culture is different here when compared with the small towns, and there are places to go drink and dance if I want to.

Some PCVs say they want to be in a small town to get the ‘real’ cultural experience and some volunteers want ‘the tough life’ because PC for them is supposed to be a challenge. That’s fine, to each their own. Before PC, I lived in a big city for about 5 years and I love the city. I love the mountains and the outdoors also, but for living, I prefer to be in the city. I still get a cultural experience here, lots of time in the mountains due to my work, and the tough part of my PC experience so far all comes from the cultural differences, not the physical things.

So I wonder sometimes, what would life be like if I lived in a small site in the mountains, had to take bucket showers every day, had less work options, didn’t have anywhere to go out at night or a ton of other gringos to go out with? What if I lived in a small town where everyone always knows what you’ve been doing all day and chisme, or gossip, travels quickly about every little thing? I’m sure life would still be good and I’d probably be thinking what life would be like living in a bigger city. And I still get a lot of these things, just not at the full-scale. During our training, we have 3 technical interviews, which is when they ask us what kind of work we'd like to do and what kind of site we'd like to live in. For people that don't already have specific experience I think they're usually tough questions to answer.

Today, I was reading my friend’s blog who is in training for PC right now in Kazakhstan. That takes it even a step further. The culture here is definitely different from ours in the US. But to live in Kazakhstan would be such a wild experience. I’m curious what it would be like to serve in a country where I’d arrive not speaking any of the language and the culture is that much more different. Before coming to Honduras with PC, I had been here and to some other Latino countries a few times and spoke a decent amount of Spanish. I guess you could say that made adjusting to the lifestyle much easier.

Anyways, these are just thoughts. As cool as it would be to be a PCV somewhere in Asia or in a small mountain-town, I’m happy to be here in Honduras in the ‘big’ city. My lifestyle is probably not what most people imagine that a PCV’s lifestyle would be like, but hey I’m not complaining.

On another note, in 1 month I’ll be in Philly! Going for one week and am hoping to see a lot of you. Also check out my new style:

Olanchanos Represent, although can't see the sideburns in this one

TJ Definitely Has a Mullet

3 comments:

  1. much love for juticalpa and your own "peace corps experience"! oh and, bring me back some cheddar cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah... from Real? How long can the cheese be out of the fridge for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very insightful, Eyal...I am so glad you like where you are and your experience as a PCV.

    Can't wait to see you.
    Lots of love. ima

    ReplyDelete