So I'll be down here for 27 months. I have lots of wall space and would love to receive some postcards from you back home. If you send me a postcard:

1) I'll be very happy, 2) I'll show it to everyone that comes to my apartment, 3) I'll send you a postcard, 4) You can be 100% sure that I won't forget who you are during my time here.







Thursday, March 8, 2012

Purim in San Francisco

Chag Sameach everyone! It's Purim (a Jewish holiday) so time to eat some hamentashens.

Two days ago, I arrived in the San Francisco airport and will be spending the next two weeks in California visiting friends and checking out different cities. So many people talk about the West Coast like it's this amazing place and some even claim it's better than the East Coast... time to see what all the hype is all about.

Yesterday was a great start to the trip. I had a phone interview in the morning for a job with Anheuser-Busch in which I actually felt pretty awkward (still waiting to hear if I passed to the next round). I'm just hoping that anyone else interviewing for the same position is more awkward than I am. Everything is relative, isn't it? Then, after some more time hanging around and getting ready, Lauren and I went to the Golden Gate Bridge.


Trying to keep the walkers separated from the bikers, although I swear Lauren was trying to push me in to the bike lane so that I'd get run over


It's a nice bridge and there is a great view of the city and the bay. The only issue I had is that no one, not person or machine, is selling some kind of food or snack on either side of the bridge. I think there would be nothing more rewarding than something delicious after that walk, like a cheese steak or hummus and falafel. We got back in the car and went looking for food via 'the scenic route' (a.k.a. took a wrong turn). It worked out well though as we ended up in some cool little place called 100% Sweet Cafe.

After taking another scenic route (an Iphone would probably have helped out a lot to figure out where we were going), we ended up in the Mission which is a part of the city with lots of Latinos and hipsters. This is where the Purim party was going to be. I won't go into the story of Purim, but I will say it's probably one of the most fun holidays that Jews celebrate. I remember going to Purim carnivals when I was younger and we would always win goldfish. Although, they never lived very long so it worked out that every year we would win new ones. Before going to the fiesta, we met up with Josh and his friend Mike to eat tacos. There are a couple places that sell baleadas in the Mission but that will have to wait for another time. Finally, we got in to the party and put our costumes on. In Israel, Purim is the holiday that everyone dresses up and parties, I don't think they celebrate Halloween, but don't quote me on that.

100% Olanchanos... Viva! 
Lauren and Josh

Sam and Mike
We got in just as they were finishing the reading of the Magillah. Then, the party started out with a Brazilian percussion group and some dancers dancing the punta (at least that's what they call it in Honduras). Once they finished, the entire stage turned into a big dance floor with a DJ, a ton of Jews dressed up in everything from rasta hats to cross dressers, a table with mixed drinks, a couple kegs of some good, dark beer, and then food outside. Everyone danced the night away until they announced that the party was over.

This was way  more than I expected for my first night in San Francisco. I didn't even know it was Purim so it was a nice surprise. To top the night off, we dropped off Mike on the way home and he showed us the boat that he lives on. Yes, he rents a room on a boat, first person I've met that can say he lives on a boat but it seems pretty awesome.

I'm excited to see what the next two weeks have to offer.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure that once you reach Fresno you will realize that the west coast is the best coast...

    ReplyDelete